It’s not often that events happen up north so when the lovely Hayley at IceLolly sent a tweet out asking if anyone was free to go to an event in Leeds I jumped at the chance.
As you know I am a Hobby Blogger, I do this outside of my current permanent job so I don’t get to go to many events so having opportunities like this is rare and I was intrigued to learn more from a brand and other bloggers who aren’t too far from me.
IceLolly.com are a price comparison site for holidays. A post will be coming up soon on them in more detail and the event #BlogAtTheBeach has been running for five years. They invite bloggers to network with other bloggers as well as listen to guest bloggers present on different blogging know how.
When I arrived I was really chuffed to see that some of my favourite blogger pals were there and it was lovely to get to see them in real life. Since being part of the We Are Thirty Plus blogging movement I have made some lovely online blogging friends who I finally bumped in to including:
I didn’t know they were going so it was such a lovely surprise and they were just as nice in real life as online.
The day was split in to 3 parts and a speaker in each. These included:
- Kirsty from Kirsty Leanne – Pitching to brands
- Bee from Queen Beady – Taking your blog to the next level
- Kaye from Fordtography – Travel photo tips
All 3 were able to offer advice from their success which, for me personally, makes it really credible as they can evidence and back up what they’re presenting. They all did incredibly well and were all wonderfully lovely when I managed to catch up with them in the breaks.
I thought I would summarise the useful tips I got from each of the talks.
Pitching to brands
- Do your research – show your passion for their brand
- Keep a spreadsheet of brands you are contacting
- Don’t use a template email
- Create and update your Media Kit
- Tell them your ideas and show them evidence on how you have done it before
- Think of 3 things your blog can offer (you don’t have to have a large following
Taking your blog to the next level
- Use your skills from your 9-5 job to influence your blog
- Re-invest in your blog – sponsorship or paid opportunities, use the money for something new, web host, domain, logo, camera, photo editing. Just keep it refreshed and updated.
- Find your style, you have your own voice and style so highlight that difference rather than trying to do the same
- Create community blogging hubs so you can take photo’s of each other on lunch breaks or weekends in your area
- Try and find the photo from a different perspective
- Use manual settings on a camera, YouTube has how to’s on the basics
- Try and find someone who can take photo’s with you, especially when you’re travelling
- If you are a lone traveller and want photos of yourself invest in a tripod
- You don’t have to have an amazing camera but recommend one with basic manual settings
(trying to utilise some of the tips below!)
We were also given feedback on each presentation from IceLolly representatives about how, as a brand, they would want a blogger to pitch and what they expect from someones blog. This really cemented what the speakers were already saying.
All in all I felt that the event was really well planned and the speakers really delivered insightful and well needed advice.
I 100% intend to put myself forward to the event for next year, if it is still in the North!
Did you go to the event? What did you enjoy?
If you didn’t go and you would like to go what would you like to see?
Do you ever pitch to brands? Are you looking to take your blog to the next level? Have you wondered about how to improve your photography skills?
Have you thought about working with Brands like IceLolly.com?